Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm on a roll. No postings for five years, and now two in one day. Obviously, I'm under the same delusion as every other blogger and website owner: Out of all the hundreds of millions of choices out there, people are going to choose to read what I have to say, to flock to my words while abandoning all others. The masses are probably already waiting breathlessly for the next posting, so I can't let them down. Post away!

That actually does bring up an interesting question: Does anybody really read another person's blog? Sure, if I send the URL to a friend, colleague, or some other acquaintance, they'll probably give it a quick look out of politeness, but other than that, are these words really being written for anybody but myself? In the olden days it was called a diary or journal, full of carefully guarded secrets, often kept under lock and key. Today, we post our dirty laundry on the web, hoping and waiting for somebody to read it.

In spite of the lack of readership, I've been trying to figure out how to move this thing forward...obviously, rewinding five years would be an arduous assignment, not to mention the gaps that would exist due to the multiple brain cells that have lost their way (those poor soldiers who would have survived if only I had not had that last beer). I'm not sure yet, but I'll probably intersperse the present with the past, hoping that it is obvious which is which. More than likely I'll be diligent with my posts for a few days, then they will dwindle off, only to be randomly resurrected periodically thereafter.

Also, I need to figure out which ground rules to follow. Do I use my real first and last name, do I make this viewable by the search engines, do I keep it G-rated, or a tad more risque, or really let the alter ego out? If somebody does read it, will it be that potential employer as he does a background check on me? Surely then, the answer must be multiple blogs, compartmentalized and tailored for completely different audiences: Business associates go here, potential love interests go here, friends and neighbors this one is for you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People do read your blog, and there are those that are very interested in your words. You underestimate your importance in the universe.