Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Ultimate Mulligan Fulfilled


I did finally resolve one of the more silly mistakes in my adult life, in that this last Sunday (27 Dec 2009) I visited the Louvre. As I mentioned previously, I missed it some years back during my first trip to Paris (it was closed on Tuesday, my last day in the city), and in fact this "do-over" was the main reason I retunred to Paris. I spent the better part of the day in the Louvre, and while I am by no means a student of art history, nor do I profess to understand the time periods, this was incredibly fascinating and overpowering beyond words. The Mona Lisa, Venus, and all the treasures under one roof are enough to boggle the mind. The Italian painting gallery alone is something you could spend a day wandering through, mesmerized, even if you are not an oil painting fan.

I plan to spend Monday (and perhaps Tuesday) on the hop-on/hop-off busline. More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was there 10 yrs ago, the museum workers went on strike the day I got there and went back to work a week later on the day I left. BTW, thanks for your answer to Therme Erding. I am thinking about doing a north European trip like Germany, Denmark, Netherlands & Belgium. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mark said...

Amsterdam is a must, for the history, the culture, and the "street scene," even if you do nothing but look. In Germany, I've always thought that Cologne (Koeln) is very underrated, and in fact personally I would say it is the most enjoyable part of the country--plus it is also very affordable by European standards. Hamburg is also beautiful if you are near the lake and the city center, though the port area and the Reeperbahn are very rough. Berlin and Munich are interesting, but they really don't feel much like tourist or vacation areas, having more the feel of a bedroom community.