Saturday, January 08, 2011

Florence to Venice

Wednesday 29 December 2010, Florence to Venice

We stopped in Verona (as in Romeo and Juliet) on our way to Venice, and I was able to find "the" balcony, as well as a chance to rub Juliet's right boob, something of a tradition which is supposed to bring good luck (the bronze boob was literally a different color than the rest of the statue due to all the fondling!) Additionally, in Verona, I saw the Arena, their version of the Colosseum. This is our last day on the bus, so at the end of the ride I gave the driver a 20 Euro tip.

Venice:
Hotel: Residence Palazzo Selvadego
Hotel location is awesome, literally right in back of St. Mark's Square.
Cold, even had to pull out this skull cap, but not as bad as that time five years ago.
This is like the hotel "annex" and not as nice as the main one, but it is fine, and location could not be better. First time on this trip I have had a real "single" room, though it is not terribly small (albeit view is of a wall). My room is sandwiched in between the two rooms housing the Catholic family I had dinner with on the first night, three kids in one and the parents in another.
Also, right by the Hard Rock! Had the steak and mashed potatoes, incredible, hostess was cute and friendly, quizzed me on how much Italian I knew, and I did finally get to use "Sei davvero bellissima."
No WiFi available! Kindle works fine, albeit drops to GPRS.
Prices vary widely paid 4 Euros and change in a very nice place, with waiters in tuxedos, for coffee and whiskey, then 8.50 Euros in a tacky American Snack Bar.
Bought a bottle of vodka for the room (will store it on the window ledge since ice cannot be had). 14 Euros in one store, 28 in another.

No comments: