Thursday, December 20, 2012

Halfway to London


Halfway to London
20 November 2012

It’s the Tuesday before the start of the Thanksgiving Holiday, and I am in Keflavik, Iceland, 8 hours into the trip and waiting for my two hour flight to London.  If all goes well, I should be landing in LHR at noon, then at the hotel (Strand Palace) about 2:00 PM.  Depending on how tired I am, I am hoping to see both Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral this afternoon, before going to the Agatha Christie play “Mousetrap” this evening.  Arrival from international flights is always a bit dicey:  Sometimes I am OK and have energy, sometimes I am tired and need to go straight to bed.  We’ll see how things are in about four hours.

I actually have learned to like Iceland Air.  They’re cheaply priced, the planes are new and clean (757 in this case), and the Keflavik airport is clean and modern, with the only limitation this time being that they are restricting those of us travelling to London to remain downstairs in the small area rather than going upstairs to the larger, more opulent arena.  In any case, I only have about 30 minutes to go before boarding.

I did manage to watch a couple of movies between Seattle and Iceland, the first being “Office Space.”  As the years have worn on, this has taken on new and special meaning.  The second was “Wag the Dog,” an interesting movie given that the 2012 Presidential election was just completed.

It’s 8:00 AM in the morning in Keflavik, and it is pitch dark outside, easily mistaken for midnight.

No comments: