Thursday, December 20, 2012

Heading Home


Monday 26 November 2012
Heathrow to Seattle

It’s 10:15 AM and I am in LHR, with what has been an uneventful Tube ride in (aside from a very helpful agent at Covent Garden who insisted on helping me with my ticket purchase).  Security was dreadful—I personally went through quickly, but my carry-on was not so fortunate and was chosen for scrutiny.  They had a stack of bags to check, and it seems that if you had anything in your satchel, it was pulled aside for screening.  I took the better part of 30 minutes!

The flight leaves at 1:00 PM so I do have some time to kill.  I am eyeing the Caviar House & Prunier, debating whether I want a decadent finish or not.

I should also note that the wake up call at The Strand Hotel did not come through.  I am developing a love/hate feeling for the place.  The price and location are fantastic, the renovation went well and the rooms are comfortable, but it’s just countless little annoyances that add up to make it somewhat irritation:  No wakeup call this morning, the flat panel TV would intermittently shutoff, the Mask Bar incident, the previous occupant's shampoo in the shower, the dirty pillowcase on my bed.  None of them are big deals, but they would be so easy to fix and make non-issues.  Then again, given how well the trip went, I feel foolish noting them.

I’m a little tired this morning, though my legs are nowhere near as achy as they had been; too bad, in that this morning I could walk quite a bit!

All in all, this was essentially a perfect trip,  having seen all I wanted to see and then a bit more.  The only disappointment was Temple Church, but aside from that all went as planned and scheduled.

For some reason, my Outlook (work) emails are not showing up, though that is a blessing in that I don’t see (literally) hundreds of them in my inbox!

Final update:  Yes, I did give in and had a snack at The Caviar House and Prunier!  A fitting finish to what has been an almost perfect trip.

No comments: