Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cairo Preview


I awakened right at 7:00 and went down for breakfast. As is so often the case, you often want that which you know you cannot have, so I truly missed my pork sausage, but acquiesced to the notion that for the next two weeks or so that would not be in the mix.

The hotel had at least two 24 hour banks staffed with people...at 4:00 AM in the morning, it was entirely possible to walk into a bank and deal with a teller, in addition to the ATM option in the lobby.
To put the timing of my trip and the news in perspective, just three days previously there was a flurry in the news when the police attacked a woman protester, and there are a multitude of protests today highlighting that very event. Things were turbulent, but as it was to turn out the volatility never interfered with my trip in any way.

To set the tone of what is to come: This morning I will be seeing the Citadel, followed by the Egyptian Museum. The mid-afternoon will be free, followed by a light show at the pyramids.

Tomorrow morning it's a plane ride to Luxor to catch the Nile River Cruise, at which time I'll have a better understanding of the itinerary for the rest of the trip.


No comments: