Friday, August 15, 2008

Back in Munich

It's mid-afternoon on Friday the 15th of August, and I have just arrived back in Munich after a ride on the ICE from Köln. As it turns out, this is actually a German holiday, but nobody could tell me what holiday it is. (Turns out it is Assumption Day for Maria Himmelfahrt, and it really, truly is only celebrated in Bavaria.) Anyway, I am staying in the InterCity Hotel right off the hauptbahnhof...it's not a bad hotel, and it really is literally just outside the train station, so it will make getting to the airport an easy thing tomorrow morning. The flight leaves at about 9:30 AM, so I can't make this too late a night.

There were a few more Köln thoughts I failed to post before leaving the town, so let me make sure to do that before I forget.

For a really great, authentic, locals-type of Biergarten, try Weinhaus Vogel Eigelstein 74 50668 Köln. This is not for the tourists, but they were friendly, and the food was cheap. The beer garden is small but wonderful, and I had a grilled platter (chicken, beef, etc.) which was out of this world. Make sure to wash it all down with the regional beer, Kölsch.

Another locals spot that I really enjoyed was an Italian bistro, Cappu Vino, at Obenmerspforten 14 50667 Köln. There are probably numerous places such as this throughout the city, but something about the service, location, and bright, cheery atmosphere made this one stand out. Just be aware, however that in either of these two spots smokers are welcome. While they did not reek of cigarettes, if you are the type who is absolutely down on smoking and you can't stand being around it, then look elsewhere---but, you will miss out on some real local charm.



As with all vacations, you really dread the end, but as expensive as this one has been, and as many pounds as it has added to my body, it definitely is time to be drawing the trip to a close and heading back home. I'll have one more night in Bavaria, and I think there is a football game on, so I'm going to venture out to try to find it.

No comments: