Monday, August 04, 2008

Therme Erding

Spent the entire first day at a "spa," which is an understatement I cannot even begin to describe. For those of us who are used to thinking of a sauna and spa as the puny little things you get at 24 Hour Fitness or Bally, forget it. This was spa on steroid, the Disneyland of spas. I cannot tell you how many acres (yes, literally acres) this complex occupies. For starters, I only visited the spas, saunas, pools and sand beaches; I deliberately bypassed the "water world" type of complex for the youngsters, and I completely missed the sulphur springs and oxygen garden. (I literally didn't even see them, and I was there all day walking around, that's how big this place is!!!) This place, literally, had countless saunas of different temperatures and humidities, not to mention fragrances. Multiple pools. Whirlpools, restaurant, bars, even a refrigerated room if you chose to go the other way. I've never had as much salt rubbed on my body as I did in this one day, and I can literally feel the oils being pulled out of the body. (Granted, this might be a gross image, but it was quite real!) I'm going back before I leave.

It will be interesting to see how I feel in the morning, in other words if the cleansing and relaxing effects are truly more than transitory.

This was considered a "clothing optional" park, though "clothing prohibited" is probably a more appropriate euphemism. That's going to be the topic of another blog in a few days.

No comments: